Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Star Shack

First, let me just say I am SO sorry for my absence! School was stressing me out, and I had prom last week (!!) so I was a little busy with that! I read a TON of great books over spring break, including this one, which I received from the author, Lila Castle!



Title: The Star Shack


Author: Lila Castle


Pages: 224


Rating: ***1/2

Summary (from Goodreads): Pete and Annabelle live for their summers together on Gingerbread Beach. They've always believed they were a perfect pair… until junior year, when Annabelle becomes obsessed with astrology. Now they can hardly stand each other. Pete thinks that Annabelle (a Leo) has become a total flake; Annabelle thinks Pete (a Scorpio) has become an uptight jerk. When Annabelle dares Pete to open a summer business on the Boardwalk generating personalized horoscopes, their fast-paced, hilarious bickering soon rises to a fever pitch. The he-said/she-said advice of the Star Shack is wildly popular and seems able to fix any relationship problem… except their own. But when one of Annabelle's star charts helps catch a thief, Pete might have to admit that the stars could really hold the key to the future…and to his own heart.


Review: I really liked this book. Told from alternating viewpoints, Lila Castle has creating a funny, cute read. I really enjoyed the characters--I laughed out loud more than a few times while reading!--and the plot was good. How they came to run the Star Shack was a bit unrealistic, but I just went with it. After reading this, I wish I could have my horoscope read to me! I want to find my perfect match! Anyway...


At the beginning of each chapter, there was a horoscope for one of the characters. This was really cool! It helped me understand the character; of course, they could have been made up for the book...but either way!


I love astrology and horoscopes, the idea that fate is playing a role in life, so I really understood where Annabelle was coming from. It'd be awesome to learn about the stars and be able to do an in-depth analysis of different people in my life (for others interested in this--check out The Secret Language of Birthdays. It's awesome, and accurate!!)


All in all, a good book. It was a quick, cute read; perfect for spring break or summer.



Recommended for: romance lovers, aspiring astrologers (aka anyone who reads her horoscope)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a quick, cute read! I might add this to my TBR pile

    ReplyDelete