Thursday, March 4, 2010

Bad Apple


Title: Bad Apple


Author: Laura Ruby


Pages: 256
Rating: ***


Summary (from Goodreads): Junior Tola Riley doesn’t care what people say about her. She knows her ever-changing hair color and goth clothes make her an easy target. Whatever. But the latest rumor is different.... The entire school believes she had an affair with her art teacher. The rumors may be a lie, but the fallout is all too real. Will Tola finally stand up for the truth?


Review: This book was ok. Not great, but I liked it alright. The writing and plot were pretty good, but it never really hit me. When I finished it, I forgot about it.

I could never really connect with Tola. She's a unique young girl, and I respected how she stood up for herself in the end, but overall I never really liked her. I felt like she should have stood up to the mean girl more than she did (I mean, if someone wrote on my face, I would slap them silly!). I could relate to her sister more--the intelligent if unstable older sister who's trying to figure out where her life is going. She was pretty cool. I also couldn't relate to the absent parent thing. Her parents thought she had an affair with her art teacher, and wouldn't even listen to her side! That kind of frustrated me. Bad parenting 101.

I liked the [comments] after each chapter. It was cool to see how other people were feeling over the course of the book, even if the people were wrong and judgemental.

Overall, an ok read. Not at the top of my recommendations.


Recommended for: anyone who has ever felt like no one would listen


So sorry for my recent silence, guys. Please don't give up on me! I'll do better, promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment