Friday, December 4, 2009

I have returned! New feature!

Sorry for my absense. Due to technical difficulties and a family vacation, I have been without access to the internet for a few weeks.

I have been thinking about ways to perk up my blog. I've decided the first Friday of the month's post will be "Curl Up With a Classic". So as my first official CUWAC post, I give you...


Title: Jane Eyre


Author: Charlotte Brontë


Pages: 374 (varies by edition)


Rating: ****


Summary (from Goodreads): Orphaned into the household of her Aunt Reed at Gateshead and subject to the cruel regime at Lowood charity school, Jane Eyre nonetheless emerges unbroken in spirit and integrity. She takes up the post of governess at Thornfield Hall, falls in love with Mr. Rochester, and discovers the impediment to their lawful marriage in a story that transcends melodrama to portray a woman's passionate search for a richer life than that traditionally allowed women in Victorian society.


Review: Though it can be difficult at times, there is definitely a reason Jane Eyre is a classic. It is full of real characters and lush descriptions. Jane Eyre is a strong-moraled, independent young woman-a very uncommon creature during this Victorian era. Her independence and ability to love will capture any reader. Do not be deceived however--there are dark undertones to this otherwise-romance novel. There is language to get through in some areas, but for the most part the plot moves quickly and comprehensibly. Jane Eyre is a classic you should curl up under the covers with.


Recommended for: romance lovers, "star-crossed lovers" diehards


Yes I realize I said Wide Sargasso Sea was next, but I thought Jane Eyre should come before its spin off.
In other news, I will start participating i Waiting on Wednesday as well. I have a lot of books to review from my family vacation, so expect more posts soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment