Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Sweet Far Thing

Sorry I've been a bit AWOL lately, posting only contests. So here's a review for the book I just finished last night:

WARNING: THIS IS THE THIRD BOOK IN A TRILOGY. IF YOU HAVE NOT READ A GREAT AND TERRIBLE BEAUTY AND REBEL ANGELS, DO NOT READ FURTHER!!!!!


Title: The Sweet Far Thing


Author: Libba Bray


Pages: 819


Rating: ****1/2


Summary (from Goodreads): It has been a year of change since Gemma Doyle arrived at the foreboding Spence Academy. Her mother murdered, her father a laudanum addict, Gemma has relied on an unsuspected strength and has discovered an ability to travel to an enchanted world called the realms, where dark magic runs wild. Despite certain peril, Gemma has bound the magic to herself and forged unlikely new alliances. Now, as Gemma approaches her London debut, the time has come to test these bonds.The Order - the mysterious group her mother was once part of - is grappling for control of the realms, as is the Rakshana. Spence's burned East Wing is being rebuilt, but why now? Gemma and her friends see Pippa, but she is not the same. And their friendship faces its gravest trial as Gemma must decide once and for all what role she is meant for.


Review: I enjoyed this book greatly. Though Felicity officially got on my nerves at some parts, I liked the characters and their interactions. It was mysterious and everything was questioned. When I thought I had it all figured out, everything flipped. Who is good? Who is evil? Who can Gemma trust? No one, it would seem.

It took me a little bit to get into the book, as the rest of the books in this trilogy have. It really didn't pick up for me until almost halfway in, which is over 400 pages. That could be why it took me over a week to read it. When it picked up however, it really got going. I couldn't put it down, which sucked with school and everything.

The ending was a bit skewed it seemed. It was almost too hasty, but I'm starting to believe it was meant that way. Readers are supposed to start questioning things, even Gemma. The ending wasn't a perfect, everything turns out alright ending. It is a war, and not everyone will make it.

All in all a great read. If you enjoyed Libba Bray's other books, do not waste any time in picking this one up. Don't let the length scare you!


Recommended for: historical fiction junkies, romantics, fantasy fanatics; high school ages and up

1 comment:

  1. Ah, I loved the Gemma Doyle trilogy! I agree the ending of The Sweet Far Thing was a bit hasty, and well, sad, but I guess that's what drama's all about. I'm glad you enjoyed the book too!

    -Beryl

    ReplyDelete